jean marc calvet

06.17.06
after swimming at laguna de apoyo, we drove back to granada to spend our final days where it all started.
i love granada and the house we stayed in. being back was a relief for me.
i felt like i was home again.

later that night, after eating ourselves sick at several restaurants in granada,
i had a chance to meet and see the studio of this genius of a painter,
jean marc calvet.

he's originally from france, but he lives and works in nicaragua.
as well as being a world famous artist (he has a show in NYC and LA this summer)
he owns el tercer ojo which has really good gazpacho.
it was the first place i ate at when i first arrived in nicaragua.

unfortunately, i didn't bring my camera into his studio, but it was amazing.
i'll always remember the colors of the paint brushes and paint he had scattered about.

he told us the stories behind two of this paintings ("the two brothers" and "twisted date")
and then he gave me and ginger a lollipop and said that the lollipop was to remind us
to always remember to look at the world through the eyes of a child.
because the innocence of children is so precious and often times, when we grow up
we become hardened and don't see the world for its simple beauty.

when he told us that, i almost wanted to cry.
i was truly touched because it felt like he was speaking directly to me,
because that's exactly what i think and how i think.

i feel so blessed to have met him and seen his work.


"look at me...look at you!"




"mi mundo gris"




"night flight"




"the two brothers"


when i got back to the states, i received an amazing email from him that truly brightened my day:


From: Jean Marc CALVET
Subject: French Painter from Granada
Date: June 18, 2006 6:35:31 PM PDT
To: Vivian

Hello Vivian ,
Very nice to meet you , I see you work and .............WHOUAAAAAAA !!!! I love ....trust me ....
It´s very good work . I need more time for look all the pictures ........ you have one more big fan !!!

I send you somes paintings and in a few days i send you the New York invitation ( Sorry for my english )

We´ll keep in touch .

I hope see you again .

Thank you.
Best wishes ,

Jean Marc